Friday, August 1, 2008

Day 8

Ellie: Today was the day I wanted to die - it would have been a better option. In short, I got sick, really sick. Lindsey had not been feeling well Saturday and Sunday but was feeling good enough to go with a group to the clinic. I hung out in bed, literally bedridden. When Lindsey got back from working for lunch she let me know that her morning had felt about like mine and she kind of wanted to die because she wasn't feeling too well either.

Lindsey: I ended up assisting dentists by sterilizing their chairs after patients were done, but then had to go lay down for a while when things went downhill. Also wandered around the eye clinic but didn't have much energy to offer much help, unfortunately. I probably tried to push myself a bit too much by even go outside, but I didn't want to miss out.

I wasn't feeling well enough to go back out to work after lunch, and Ellie was still miserable so I got a doctor and had her come and get Ellie and I to take us to the clinic so they could get Ellie some medications. Yes, it's the same clinic I had been at during the morning, attempting to work at, and everyone was surprised to see us there, not to help, but to be helped! The doctor gave us a list of prescriptions for Ellie and we got a ride back to the hotel.

Ellie: I got to get a fun shot from one of the Ecuadorian doctors - who knows what was in it? But I think it eventually started to help. A lot of people from our group were getting sick about this time and a lot of us received the shot. Let's just say it was painful - horribly painful. I also had the fun experience of taking so many pills and being so drugged that I couldn't open my eyes from 10 PM Monday until Noon Tuesday. But then I started to feel better!

Lindsey: Unfortunately we both had to start drinking Pedialite (hence the horrific pic above) and were both also on antibiotics. No bueno...

That night, our group was invited to the Stake President's house to see his daughter's dance group perform some traditional dances. I was feeling well enough to go, but Ellie had to stay in bed and get better. They performed 3 different dances that are very common to their culture which was fun to see!We also got a demonstration about what the traditional clothing meant to their culture. Very fun, and it helped that we just had to sit and watch! We thanked the Stake President for his family's hospitality and headed back to our hotel.

No comments: