Friday, August 1, 2008

Day 3

Lindsey: Today we finally got to work! After breakfast we went to the school construction site and started...wait for it...moving rocks! We literally got in 2 long assembly lines and transported rocks from one location to another for the majority of the morning. It was pretty interesting, because several of the local indigenous women, barefoot and in full traditional clothing, jumped in line to help! They were so willing to help, but it was hard to tell them what we were doing because they didn't speak Spanish, only Quichua. I know Ellie & I are taller than the average US women, but we're like twice as tall as the Ecuadorian women!
After a few hours of working hard, nature started to call. I had to use the scary, dark/unlit, spider infested bathroom with a toilet that didn't flush....joyous. The "best" part about it, was that I got locked in! I started pounding on the door yelling, "Ayudame!" (help me) and finally got let out, much to the "satisfaction" of my fellow friends and workers...good timesAfter lunch, we went back to the construction site and ended up having to move the rocks we had just relocated, back to an area close to where they came from! Not the most efficient method, I can assure you. We did entertain ourselves by playing, "Sing a song starting with the word ____" and I usually had some way to work in "We're coming to America" by Neil Diamond (not so sure why, but it was pretty funny)! hee hee

We also removed shingles off of the elementary school to prep for a new roof. It was a messy process. I had to stand on a wobbly, uneven ladder and reach for the dirty, moss & spider covered tiles and hand them to yet another assembly line below, to stack for future use elsewhere. I got covered with dirt and even found rocks in my hair later!After work, we headed back to Cotacachi and went shopping with the rest of the group. I didn't get anything much, but many in our group got custom tailored leather coats for $80! If I was a leather coat wearer, that would be a good deal. We headed back to the hotel for dinner, a bakery run, and movies in our room!

No comments: